wrong Mime-type

Low level MIDI support via Javascript

wrong Mime-type

Postby Hubert1965 » Sat May 23, 2015 2:19 am

I installed jazz-plugin because i hoped it would solve the problem that I described here:

http://apple.stackexchange.com/question ... audio-midi

Unfortunately, it does not. This plugin registers for the mime-type audio/x-jazz. But midi files don't come with this mime-type. They come as audio/midi.

If that plugin doesn't work with the mime-type audio/midi then it is useless for me. I don't want to provide midi-files on a website that I created. I want that my browser plays any midifile that is embedded in any html-document like on this site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonality

I don't understand why there is not a single one plugin that enables the posibility to play midi files from a website. What is the problem with providing such a plugin?

---

This is what browsers do on my iMac (OS X Yosemite, version 10.10.3) when I view a website that contains a link to a midi file and when I click on this link:

Safari (version 8.0.6)
Displays a black page with an error message in its center saying "missing plugin". When I click on this message, I get another message that tells me that there is no plugin for audio/midi.

Chrome (version 43.0)
Immediately downloads the midi file into my download directory without previously asking me for any other options.

Firefox (version 38.0.1)
Opens a modal windows where i can choose between this options:
- Open with another program (in my case Sibelius, which is a scorewriter that can import midi files, but is not a real midi player)
- Download the file into my download directory

Opera (version 29.0)
Immediately downloads the midi file into my download directory without previously asking me for any other options.

So non of the big browsers that are available for OS X is able to play music when you click on the link to a midi file.

Please provide a plug-in for the mime type audio/midi !
Hubert1965

Return to Jazz-Plugin